Monday, July 9, 2012

Vacation Food, with a RECIPE!


Greetings from the Bad Kitty Bakery and the Cute Kitty Café!



When you go on vacation and come back, you are struck with a very sudden, very preseient thought: I wish I was still there. At least, that has been my thought since I left Portland, OR for the 111 degree heat of the valley. I am happy to be back with family and students, but… perhaps I do want to be back playing in the Hood River, gathering moss to decorate the bases of my figures. Maybe it is just me.

The delicious food at Native Bowl, plus some random vegan chili from Whole Foods


I was touched by the delicious food at the Native Bowl in Portland, so I knew that making something like it would be a way for me to relive my vacation a bit. This is my first crack at something similar to their tasty slaw. I like it a lot – perfect for summer BBQs or adding to a sandwich!



Smokey Coleslaw

Serves 4

1 16 oz package of shredded coleslaw mix

1/3 cup reduced fat vegenaise

1-2 teaspoons of agave syrup (I use raw)

1-2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar

¼ to ½ teaspoon of chipotle powder

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Salt and pepper to taste



Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix. Eat chilled alone or on a sandwich!



Love, love, love. However, if you do not like spice, keep the chipotle down to a ¼ teaspoon. If you like the heat, feel free to kick it up a bit, but this is a very powerful spice. It will get hot, quickly, so be warned!!



Above is a picture of the Native Bowl that inspired my recipe. If you’re in Portland, check them out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment