Sunday, July 8, 2012

To Portland and Back Again... a Chef's Tale.

Hi Everyone!

I am just getting back in the swing of things from a decadent vacation to Portland, OR. I used to live there, many moons ago… like 20 years worth of moons ago. When I left, the city was full of skinheads. Now, they are gone and the city is full of some interesting fashion statements and lots of yummy food!!


We ate our way through Portland. We stopped at vegan food trucks, ate vegan doughnuts, and even went to Food Fight, the all vegan grocery store! I have to say that was my favorite food part of the trip. It is amazing to be able to buy whatever you want without checking a single label! I love it and plan on supporting them by doing some online shopping until I can get back there. If you want to check it out, the link is http://www.foodfightgrocery.com. Still, already I am planning on trying to get back there next year in person. Good times.


Another great experience was going to the Native Bowl food truck. I was really surprised. The food was simple, but gooooooddddd.  Oh yes, I am dreaming of going back for one of those bowls, and they inspired me to try out a few new flavor combinations. If you want a better idea of what my experience was like, check out their website http://thenativebowl.com/.


I know I will get some hate on this, but Sweetpea Bakery was not great. http://sweetpeabaking.com. I grabbed four items (along with Eleanor and Jason) and none of them were things I would get again. The snickerdoodle was not great, and tasted like flour and butter. My brownie had raw sugar granules in it… and it was not supposed to. I need to be selective about my calories, so I won’t be spending any more there.


Lastly, if you happen to be planning a trip to Portland, or if you live there, you have to check out the River Gorge Fruit Row. There is fresh fruit (including seconds if you feel like canning) of all types, fresh from the trees. There are also wineries that have $5 tastings that are amazing! Six wine tastes for $5? Count me in! We grabbed two bottles of our favorites, and went to play with the baby alpaca. It was amazing and fun to connect with nature.


So now that I am back, I am getting back into the swing of creation. Look for me to get my mushroom melt recipe up in the next few days, and I made an amazing, light peanut stew today. I need to write the recipe down for that one, because it is African inspired, but very Madelyn.



Thanks for the understanding on my not posting for a week, but I am back now! Beware! Bwah-ha-ha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment