Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Today's Tip: How to cook a vegan roast!!

A vegan roast with my Asian Orange Mariade in the glass dish
 
Today’s tip is for cooking those vegan roasts. You know, the Turkey-less Turkeys from Trader Joes or everyone’s favorite little football, the Tofurky roast? Many of us will eat these with gusto tomorrow, but cooked improperly these can be bland and dry.
 

The first time I ever cooked one of these, it was a disaster. I was a decent home cook, but I had just turned vegan. I had no idea what to do with this little seitan oval my mom bought me so I would have a holiday, too. I stared at it, then dusted it with salt and pepper before placing it on a baking sheet and placing it in the oven. What I got out of the oven two hours later was about as tough as a shoe, and had about that much flavor. Luckily, the potatoes turned out ok, and I managed to pour enough of the gravy that came with my Tofurky over everything to manage chewing through it all.


After I met Jason, I learned the great Tofurky (or Field Roast, or Trader Joes Turkey-less roast) secret… you have to marinade! Marinade that faux ‘bird’ overnight with liquid and whatever herbs and spices you love best. Jason makes an infamous nut brown ale roast with herbs, and I make one with root beer! I have also used orange juice and veggie stock.
 

Start off with a glass bread dish, about 9 X 4. Place in your thawed vegan roast, and then enough liquid to come within an inch of the top. Add your spices and herbs, cover, and allow to marinade about 4-6 hours. Then, flip it over so the other side is submerged and repeat this process.


The next day, remove the cover and roast on 350 degrees for 1 hour, flip the roast again, and cook an additional 1 hour. You are done! Reserve any remaining liquid to spoon over slices of your roast. This will give you a moist, delicious roast to enjoy this holiday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment