Friday, November 16, 2012

Orange Asian Vegan Roast Marinade RECIPE and new blog schedule!

Tested with Trader Joe's Turkey-less Roast


Hi everyone! I have been taking some time to make some amazing food. That is what it is all about, right? And yes, I am still working away on my cookbook. Even making and testing 7 extra recipes every week can be a ‘challenge’ (read as a huge pain in the tush and calves, because your legs take a beating with the extra kitchen time). That being said, the food I have been creating is the best of my life! More often than not I’ve been eating away and thinking “Did I really make that? Yes, I did!”
 
On top of all that I have been working on some special holiday recipes. The first is here, a marinade for all those vegan ‘roasts’ out there. Trader Joes has a Turkey-less Turkey, and then there is the infamous Tofurky, and Field Roast has one as well. Hopefully, by this time next year, we will all be shopping at Vegco here in the valley, but until then, you can still have your roast shipped through veganessentials.com or just run to the store. Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Trader Joes all have vegan options for you!

But once you have that little football shaped lump of seitan, what do you do with it? If you feel like something a little out of the norm, here is the roast for you. Thaw your roast, use this to marinade overnight, then bake the next day!

We will get to the recipe in a moment, but I am reformatting the blog. I think I am going to go to a schedule, roughly as follows:

Tuesday: Tips and Tricks! Basically, this is a place to share what is going on, what new things are working in my life and kitchen, and whatever else is going on.

Thursday: Reviews! What new foods or books are out there, or even cleaning products? A place to talk about fun vegan things.

Saturday: Recipes! Isn’t this why you keep coming back?

So without further ado, here is the recipe!!

 

Orange Ginger Marinade for a vegan roast

Makes enough for 1 vegan roast

1 glass 4X9 pan 
4 cups of orange juice (fresh as possible)
2 inches of ginger, sliced thin
8-12 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup of soy sauce
½ cup diced onion
8-12 star anise, whole
1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon red chili flakes  
1 vegan roast, such as Tofurky roast or Trader Joes Roast

  

In the glass pan, combine all ingredients.
Add the thawed Tofurky or Field roast and cover.
Refrigerate overnight for best results.
In the morning, cook the Tofurky for 2 hours in the liquid on 400 degrees.
Allow to cool and slice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment