Thursday, April 25, 2013

I HATE mornings, but I love my Lemon Breakfast Bites! (recipe included!!)

A sample serving with two lemons from our tree.
 
I hate breakfast. Those that know me well know this. I envy the people who wake up in the morning rosy cheeked, refreshed and ready to face the day. I wake up pinch faced, crabby, and always feeling like I need two more hours of sleep no matter how much I just got. I stumble into the kitchen and make myself a cup of coffee before setting off to see what the cats destroyed and what dishes need to be done. I sip my coffee while I get ready and then just fall into managing the challenges of the day. Two or three hours later I might figure out that I need to eat something, and by then I am usually shaking and cranky.
 
I have learned that not eating breakfast, even when I don’t feel like it, is one of my bad habits. Matter as fact, it might be one of my worst habits because it sets me up for being cranky and overeating the rest of the day. People who eat breakfast are more likely to be thinner. I could definitely be thinner.
 
I also have a goal of eating at least 50% raw foods. Through experiments on myself, I have learned that blend of raw and cooked is helping me control my horrible migraine headaches. My headaches leave me drained, dizzy, and worried that I will sound like an idiot. A frequent symptom of my migraines is my thoughts and words getting jumbled. The less of that mess, the better.
 
Raw breakfast bites are one of my favorite things in life! I keep inventing new combinations and flavors. Based on my love of lemon desserts and the fact I have lemons on my tree, I made these – lemon breakfast bites. Hopefully these will allow you to help enjoy your morning. Personally, I eat 2-3 and a bit of fresh fruit. The combination leaves me feeling refreshed and full. More importantly, it helps me face the day.
 
 
Lemon Breakfast Bites (Raw)
Makes about 24 (1 tablespoon each)
 
2 cups of raw cashews, unsoaked
½ tsp lemon powder (powered lemon peel) OR 2 teaspoons lemon extract
¼ cup lemon zest, loosely packed
½ cup of lemon juice, fresh
½ cup of raw agave nectar
1 ½ cups of shredded coconut, unsweetened
 
Place all ingredients except for the shredded coconut in a food processor and pulse until you have a thick paste with some texture.
Add the shredded coconut and pulse until the coconut still has texture, but is broken up slightly.
Place tablespoons of mixture onto a dehydrating sheet and press with your fingers so you have more of a flat cookie shape.
Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 3-4 hours, turning the cookie over after 2 hours.
Remove from the dehydrator and enjoy.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment