Thursday, June 27, 2013

Confessions and Salads, with TWO RECIPES!!



So  I have a confession to make. I am a chef, culinary educator, vegan, and I have horrible migraines. This is not something that I talk a lot about. I feel there is a mystique around being vegan, that it is a panacea that cures all ills. It cures most ills. Even my migraines are not as bad as the other women in my family and I can control them with more mild medication than they take. Still, migraines are a pretty embarrassing affliction in many ways. I try to cover it, but when mine hit my brain stops working quite right. I mix up my words, sentences are harder to form, and I have problems with my balance. Basically, I look and sound drunk. Talk about bad for business. :<

 I decided it is time to do everything I can to help this. I am by no means super thin, so I am cutting back on some of the awesome vegan treats and really building in all the fresh fruit and vegetables to help take off a few pounds. The only hitch in this awesome plan? I have a horrible ulcer from my misspent youth that hates raw veggies. I mean, really, really hates them at times. But there are other things I can eat and drink, like smoothies.

I am sharing this not because I want sympathy, but I feel like I need to let everyone else know that you can be vegan and still have stuff in your system go haywire. But, as vegans we have better tools to cope, and a better support network of other people who are eating healthy and leading active lifestyles.

Plus, in sharing this I want to let you guys know I am taking my blog in a more personal direction. I want to share reviews, recipes, and even just some random things I am loving. I opened up a new blog http://madelynpryor.blogspot.com that will be like an open journal, so if you want to know what is going on with me, I will try to be open and honest there about everything, the ups and downs.

In the meantime, I have this wonderful recipe for a great, easy salad dressing and salad. I have really been craving the spicy and sweet combination lately, so here is a great and easy salad that fits those flavors. When I made this I ate half and packed the other half. Later I took it to Starbucks for a nice refreshing meal while I drank unsweetened green tea and worked away. It traveled well, but the dressing made the juice of the tomatoes come out a bit so make sure your lid fits well before you take it with you.

 

Sweet and Spicy Dressing/Marinade

Makes 1/3 cup

2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons agave
2 teaspoons ancho powder
2 teaspoons mild chili powder
½ tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and stir to combine.
Allow to rest at least 15 minutes for the flavors to meld.
Use as a salad dressing or marinade.

 
Sweet and Spicy Lunch Salad
Makes 2 servings, or enough for 1 really hungry Madelyn

 2 medium heirloom tomatoes
½ cup of loose cilantro leaves
4-5 green onions
½ cup of black beans
½ cup of cubed, marinated tofu (I used Trader Joes savory
½ batch of the sweet and spicy dressing

Cube the heirloom tomatoes.
Wash and mince the cilantro.
Slice the green onions.
Discard the roots.
Rinse and drain the black beans.
Cube the tofu.
Use ½ batch of the Sweet and Spicy Salad dressing (about 2-3 tablespoons for this size batch).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment