Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Calabacita Pizza Casserole with RECIPE!


To all the Bad Kitties out there!
 

How is everyone! It has been fun and busy over here. I am in the process of starting a third blog (I know, I know) and I have been working on content for that. It will be dedicated to two of my other great loves, make up and crafting. I am also finally getting the tail end of the great waterpipe explosion cleaned up in my room, and lastly, I am working slowly on unpacking our very full kitty room so it can get turned into a studio. When you add in the fact I am on a diet and getting ready for my second great travel class, (to Akron Ohio) it has been busy! I have still been in the kitchen, making great food for myself and my family. Recently, Jason and I have been trying to cut down on our gluten, and having many gluten free days. I the process of this, I devised this great casserole. You could easily make this, feed your family, and have left overs for lunch.
 

If you do not have a large family, and having a 9X13 sized pan of anything is daunting, then I suggest that you cut the amount of ingredients in half, and just use an 8X8 baking dish.

 

Calabacita Pizza Casserole

Serves 6-8
 

4-6 cups of cooked quinoa
6 cups of vegetable broth
1-2 large yellow crookneck squash
1-2 large zucchini
3 large ‘beefsteak’ tomatoes
1 cup of vegan chorizo
1 can of diced tomatoes, 15 oz
1 can of tomato sauce, 15 oz
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
1 cup of vegan cheese, shredded (I used Daiya)
 

In a pot, combine the vegetable broth and quinoa.

Use a medium heat until simmering rapidly, then turn down and allow to cook, about 15 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.

Meanwhile, slice the zucchini and squash into rounds.

Slice the tomatoes into rounds, discarding the very tops and bottoms.

In a bowl combine the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with the oregano.

Line a 9 X 13 baking dish with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the cooked quinoa in the bottom of the baking dish.

Top with a layer of the yellow squash, then a layer of the tomatoes, then a layer of the zucchini.

Top with the chorizo. Spoon the tomato sauce over the top so it makes an even layer.

Top that with the vegan cheese, and place in the oven.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until the squash is tender to being pierced with a fork, but not mushy.

Allow to cool, then cut into slices and serve.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment