Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Hello! I took a few weeks of baking to try and help my waist line but I am back now. I wanted to come back with a bang, so to speak. I started thinking about which cookies I should take and twist into gluten-free, vegan wonders next. Right before we went gluten free, I made these incredible ginger macadamia nut biscotti. They were killer. The flavor, the texture… they were damn good. But I wrote off biscotti, since gluten helps to hold it together in the hot water you are dunking it in.

Then the Dragon Age expansion came out for Xbox! Jason knew that he would be drinking coffee for the next few days so he could fit in heavy doses of video games around his many other responsibilities. That made me decide that I should make my vegan biscotti gluten free. It worked, and I came up with two flavors that night alone.

The first one is a double chocolate walnut biscotti. It is perfect for mochas, black teas, and a nice chocolate fix. One very important note is that these cookies are best the next day, so make them one day ahead of when you need them, then wrap them up or seal them in an airtight container and enjoy the next day with your soy or almond latte!

Double Chocolate Biscotti

Dry Ingredients
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ½ cups gluten free baking mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
½ cup mini vegan chocolate chips

Wet Ingredients
¼ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Sticks)
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons Ener-G egg replacer MIXED WITH
6 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vegan coffee creamer

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the vegan butter with the brown sugar and sugar. Cream until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix the Ener-G with the water and whisk until it is thoroughly combined. Add to the creamed butter and mix together. Add the coffee creamer and mix again. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients, and whisk together to remove any lumps. Make sure that the walnut are chopped so they are very fine, and that you use mini chocolate chips, or the texture will be too rough to make great biscotti. Add all the dry ingredients to the wet, and then shape the dough into 3 equal logs, about 4-5 inches wide. Bake for 25 minutes on a cookie sheet. Cool for 10 minutes. Slice about 1/3 of an inch thick, then return to the cookie sheet and bake for 7 more minutes. Then remove the cookies, flip them over, and bake the other side for 7 more minutes. It is complicated, but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment