Litter of Gluten Free Biscotti!
This is the second part of the great biscotti adventure. I wanted to recreate my ginger macadamia nut biscotti recipe, but it was late at night and I didn’t have any macadamia nuts! I took a quick stock of what I did have and I decided to use hazelnuts and pine nuts. The flavor is different, but they are very good, and now we have a new favorite around here!
I used sorghum flour in this recipe because it has a very light ‘clean’ taste that I find sometimes lacking in the gluten free baking mix. I wanted that to compliment the flavor of the fresh ginger. Also, these taste ‘ok’ when they first come out of the oven, but they taste amazing the next day, so they are well worth waiting for. Try these with a cup of green or white tea, and they will make your toes curl up!
3 cups sorghum flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup raw hazelnuts
½ cup pine nuts
½ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons Ener-G MIXED WITH
6 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the vegan butter with the sugar.
- Cream until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Ener-G with the water and whisk until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add to the creamed butter and mix together.
- Add the fresh ginger and mix again.
- Add the almond extract and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients, and whisk together to remove any lumps.
- Make sure that the hazelnuts are chopped so they are very fine.
- You do not need to chop the pine nuts.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the wet, and then shape the dough into 3 equal logs, about 4-5 inches wide.
- Bake for 25 minutes on a cookie sheet.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice about 1/3 of an inch thick, then return to the cookie sheet and bake for 7 more minutes.
- Then remove the cookies, flip them over, and bake the other side for 7 more minutes.
- It is complicated, but worth it!