Saturday, June 25, 2011

Community Supported Agriculture





Well, I did it. For four years I have wanted to try community supported agriculture and this morning I picked up my box from Bountiful Baskets. I had opted for the 100% organic box, at $25 dollars, 8 pounds of mangos for $4.75 and a pack of ‘Mexican’ style produce for $7.50. With the fee for a first time order, I ended up with a bill of $41 dollars and some change. I didn’t know what to expect, but when I arrived I was surprised when I got a 20 pound box of produce for my organic basket, about five pounds for my ‘Mexican’ pack and ORGANIC mangos! Yep, my $4.75 eight pound box of mangos are ORGANIC! Yay! The box of produce was mostly fruit, and none of it was exotic. I was slightly disappointed about that, I love weird produce. However, I think I am in the minority. Things like strawberries and bananas are far less threatening to most than dragon fruit. Any lingering disappointment I had about my box being mostly fruit disapperared when I ate my first organic grape – wow. I thought, this is how grapes should taste! It was great. With all the mangos I plan on canning some and turning some into salsa. If any of that turns out I will post recipes.

So if you are thinking of trying it out, let me recommend the site I used http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/. They are available in many states and many sites within that state. My pick up site was only moments from my house.

Happy eating! I am getting back to my grapes…

No comments:

Post a Comment