Friday, February 19, 2010

A Call to Healthy Kitties Everywhere!


I love dessert and so does my husband. Actually, I sometimes feel that he has a love/hate relationship with dessert. Sometimes he loves it, and sometimes it just makes him feel bad because it doesn't love him back. Once upon a time he was diabetic, and now he is vegan, fit, and happy. I think dessert can remind him of the bad times, and good dessert scares him because he is above all else a foodie that loves good food just for the taste of it.


So one day, I was getting ready to make a batch of cookies and I noticed with great guilt that some of the fruit I bought for us was not as fresh as it could be. Part of that was because I had been making lots of dessert. Both of us love fruit, but love my baking a little more. So I took some nectarines that were slightly soft (but still good) and I decided I could make some cookies with those! I set out to make the other ingredients as healthy as possible. Agave nectar is low on the glycemic index, which means that it does not inter your bloodstream as quickly and 'spike' your blood sugar, so you don't get a heady rush, you get a nice build up.


I want to dedicate this to a kitty, but I don't have any super healthy kitties in my life, so I want to hear from you, the reader! Do you have kitties that exercise with you? Do you have kitties that nibble veggies? Let me know! Send me your kitties stories, pictures, and names and I will enter you in this month's 'Kitty of the Month' contest, where the owner will get goodies!


Jason's Healthy Kitty Cookies


Wet ingredients

3/4 cup agave nectar

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer power MIXED WITH

2 tablespoons of water

1 1/4 cup peach puree (about 4 small peaches or nectarines)

1/2 cup vegan butter, slightly colder than room temperature


Large ingredients


1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon xananthan gum

1 1/2 cup gluten free baking mix

2 cups oatmeal

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup walnuts, chopped


Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, place your pitted, cleaned peaches. Puree. Add this to your mixing bowl, and combine with agave and maple syrup. In a separate bowl, whisk the ener-G with the water until light and frothy. Add to the syrup puree mixture. Add the butter and mix with a mixer until there are only small chunks of butter left. In a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk together so they are blended. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, one cup at a time until incorporated. Use a small cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon, rounded) to scoop the cookies onto the cookie sheets and bake for 12 minutes. Wait for about 5 minutes and remove from cookie sheets. They are great that day but taste even better the next day when served at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment